Virtual City Hall


 How can I pay my utility bill?

  • Drop box - Parking lot or main entrance
  • Credit/debit card via phone
  • Mail a check
  • Set up a bill pay payment with your bank
  • Set up direct payments from a checking or savings account

 What do I do if I am moving?

Call or stop in at City Hall to provide a move out date and a forwarding address. It's important to let us know when you are moving, so you stop getting billed as of your move out date.

 Do dogs and cats need to be licensed in the City of Staples?

Yes, both dogs and cats require city licenses.  You must provide proof of a rabies shot to obtain a license. Please see Ordinances for more information.

 Are building permits required in the City of Staples?

Yes. The City of Staples adopted the Minnesota State Building Code, which requires a building permit for the majority of building projects including but not limited to: new construction, fencing, remodeling, re-shingling, re-siding, mechanical unit replacements, shed installs.
Please see Building and Permit Information for a printable application and fee scale.

 How do I apply for a Variance, Conditional Use Permit, Zoning Amendment or Rezoning?

Please complete and submit the following Land Use Request Application.

 What is Amtrak's contact information?

AMTRAK can be reached at (800) 872-7245 or visit their website at
Those taking the train from the Staples Depot may park on  the west side of the building.
City of Staples | 122 6th Street NE Staples, MN 56479 | 218-894-2550 | Photos provided by the Staples World.